11.14.2013

Walking (30 Days of Gratitude)

When I moved from SLO, I feared not having a community of friends around me. I also feared that no one would understand my experiences from IVSLO, from Cal Poly, and from my college experience. When I moved to Northridge, I had been out of school for what felt like two years but I was blessed to have a small community of IVSLO friends living in the valley.

I was reminded how important that is to my life as Claire and I went on a six mile walk this evening. We reminisced about the Cal Poly days (and about how awesome it was to be an English major), about the crazy things we did in SLO, what we missed about SLO, what we love about the valley, what we want to do with our lives five years down the road but don't know what we are eating for breakfast tomorrow, eating delicious cookies and ice cream, and just spending time together.

This is one of the great things about discipleship and mentoring relationships. No matter how far down the road we get in life, we will always have a tight bond with each other. When Claire and I met my sophomore, her freshmen of college and when I discipled her my junior, her sophomore year of college - I had no idea we'd end up living in the same town all these later. But Jesus has a way of preserving these deep friendships and I'm grateful. I'm grateful for someone who has walked along side me life (quite literally tonight) and who will continue to do so. I'm grateful she chose not to walk away after our first discipleship meeting where I made her cry, that she understands the power of the written word, and that she loves Harry Potter novels as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment