11.21.2013

Dorm Small Group (30 Days of Gratitude)

When I planned bible study I did not expect what happened. We studied Luke 7, the passage where a sinful woman anoints Jesus with an alabaster jar of perfume. It's a powerful passage but we only looked at it for about 30 minutes. Conversation seemed to wrap up quickly and I didn't even really have a great application planned. But we decided to do listening prayer and then that turned into sharing some deep, personal, and painful stuff from our own lives. We went deep with each other tonight and I can say I was not expecting it but I was rejoicing afterwards.

In a weird way we saw the passage lived out. We came in expecting one thing - like Simon came in expecting to have a nice dinner with Jesus. We came in expecting to play a fun game, look at a nice passage, have a relatively easy application, and then head on back to our respective places. In and out. But Jesus had more for Simon and Jesus had more for us. We were met with a moment to be vulnerable before each other and be vulnerable before Jesus. We share honestly, even let our tears fall, and we held each other's past wounds for a moment.

I'm so grateful that I got to experience that moment with Devan, Danielle, Tyler, Jeremy, Perri, and Ryan tonight. I'm so thankful for their honestly, for the risk to be vulnerable, and for the weirdly awesome family that we are becoming. I cannot wait to see what more Jesus has in store for us when we are willing to go deep with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment