11.07.2012

Challenge (30 Days of Gratitude)

Today I am thankful for Sarena. I thought long and hard about this post because I know Sarena doesn't like to be in the spotlight a lot. But I am very, very grateful that she is on my leadership team. She is a leader who is taking a lot of risks this year, from leading a bible study to opening herself up and being vulnerable with new people, to showing people her emotional side. She is dedicated at everything she does. But more than that, Sarena challenged me last night while we were talking in two specific ways.

One, Sarena challenged me with seeing people. As you might have figured out by now, I struggle with feeling seen by others but I can easily fall into the trap of focusing all on myself (not that hard of a trap to fall into if I am completely honest). But Sarena, unknowingly challenged me to see the others in our leadership team, in our fellowship, or even right in front of me. I had, in fact, not been seeing a lot of people because I was so focused on making sure I got seen. I don't feel guilty but challenged to take steps outside of the lie that life is a story about me.

Secondly, Sarena challenged me in giving praise to others. I always saw myself as one who gives praise well because I have a way with words. As I spoke my standard praises (that I'll admit I have recycled over time) she told it was great to hear but it didn't mean much if she didn't know to what it applied. So I had to make sure I meant what I said when I told her of her value and worth by giving examples. She challenged me to be honest and genuine and not just give praise to make people feel better or stop crying to but to build and encourage.

It is difficult to be challenged and called out by the people you lead, but all together necessary. I am so grateful it was done with grace and forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment