2.12.2013

Family Style

The way you eat your food says a lot about you. I saw this most clearly when I went to Thai food with two of my students, Mark and Sarena, and Sarena's parents and younger sister.

When we go to Saladang (one of the best Thai places I've ever experienced - can't wait to go there a second time), I was almost surprised when Sarena's parents began to order family style to share with the whole table. Normally when I go out to eat with friends, we typically get our own meal. I actually prefer to eat family style because I'm often indecisive and I like to have a little bit of everything. I also enjoy it because it bonds a group together in simple, yet oh so profound way. Instead of us being a group of six randomly connected people eating a meal together - we become a unit. We share all the food on the table and thus feel more comfortable to share our lives and our stories with each other.

It is a blessing to eat like this. I wish I could do it all the time. It was such a wonderful and unexpected surprise to be able to bond with the families of my students, to share the ministry in a family setting, and to just be welcomed in by them - into their favorite restaurant and into a bit of their life. It is here I see the value of getting to know the families of my students. We then become a larger community, where the parents of my students can influence and inspire me as I influence and disciple my students. What a wonderful thing to experience.

It's things like this that make me an honorary Latina.

No comments:

Post a Comment