6.19.2015

We Cry

I don't know what I should be saying.
But I've been silent for too long.

Nine people dead because they went to a church prayer meeting,
to pray for revival,
to pray for hope and justice.
They welcomed in the stranger
only to have to hide under pews
pretending to be dead
just to stay alive.

I don't know what I should be saying.
Black men and women unable to feel safe
in the streets,
in their backyards,
in their churches.
You are the God of refuge, our fortress
but right now feels like open war.

I don't know what I should be saying.
Black vs. white.
Terrorist vs. mentally unstable.
A country divided against each other,
damaging each other
while blaming the foreigner.

I don't know what I should be saying.
what if I say the wrong thing?
My white hands cover my mouth
to prevent anything hurtful from slipping out.
But my silence speaks louder.

I don't know what I should be saying.
My lips want to cry to the Lord for justice and mercy
but no sound comes out my mouth
It is dry and weak,
afraid the Lord cannot hear

Jesus we cry for justice!
We plead for peace.
We weep for those lost.
Jesus do you hear us?

Do you hear the cries of our hearts?
Do you hear the pleading for safety from violence?
From murder and terror?

God save us! Bring us into your arms
Bring us into refuge and safety.
We are angry, bitter, lost, and hopeless.

My friends I stand with you.
I weep with you.
I grieve with you.
Even if I don't know what I should be saying.
I say this is unfair.
I say this unjust.
I say Lord we need you.

Lord, you are the God who saves us; 
Day and night we cry out to you. 
May our prayer come before you; 
turn your ear to our cry. 


No comments:

Post a Comment