7.20.2013

May I Listen?

I have been trying for the past week to write something about the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman trial verdict. I have been unable to come up with my own reflections because at the moment, I'm surrounded by the emotion. I wrote this because I realized that my silence, while it was as a way to not offend while emotions were raw, could be perceived as not caring. So I wrote this poem. I hope to find the words for future reflections. In the mean time, this was my favorite article about what to take from the verdict. 

I find I have trouble coming up with the right words to say
To express my anger, my frustration, my confusion, and overwhelming sense of fear
I am afraid to say so many wrong things
That what I say will just add to the ever growing list of your own frustrations, confusion, and overwhelming sense of hopeless
So I remain silent.
To you I am sorry that my silence conveyed apathy.
I assure you I do not feel apathetic.
This is a big deal.

My heart has been beating for you - pounding in my heart,
Wanting to jump out of my chest and embrace you
To give you loving arms to hold
Or shoulders to cry upon

My mind has been racing for you - swirling, whirling, and preventing sleep.
Wondering how we got here
Planing and planning what to do next
How to fix it, if it can be fixed
What to say, when to say it, and how

My soul has been grieving for you - hurting, bleeding, crying out for our rescue
Crying out to our God for peace
For justice, for mercy upon our souls
Crying out to a God who loves us
Who hears us when we call
Who gives us a new song in our mouths and sets our feet upon the rock.

I find I have trouble coming up with the right words to say
So instead of my speaking right now may I just listen?
Can I hear your stories, your pain, your hurt that others too often ignore.
Can I hear your reality, the one so different from my own
Will you bring me into your life?
I know it is a risk, to open yourself to up to yet another person who claims to care
I know you may feel afraid to be hurt, to be wounded, to be misunderstood
I fear the same so I remained quiet.
That may have hurt you and I am deeply sorry.

But will you tell me your stories? Will you share your life?
Because I am here to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment