3.04.2013

Becoming a Runner

I will run my first 5k race ever in exactly one week. I'd have to say I'm pretty excited but I am even more nervous. I didn't really ever envision myself as a runner up until this year. I started as a vague idea of I should get into better shape and I really only have the time to go running. 

It has been a really unexpected and slightly process. I started by walking to campus, which is about two miles from my house. Then I started running (well jogging at the pace I go) for barely a mile. One day, back in late October, I asked a student, Jenel, if she wanted to go running with me. I was trying to put myself in a vulnerable place, modeling what it looks to be intentionally not in a position of power by doing something I knew she would be better at me in. What was supposed to be just a "teaching moment" turned into something so much more. 

Since then I began the process of running regularly. I even played with the idea of running a 5k. I wasn't committed to it really, just throwing the idea out there. Well I learned quickly to never just "throw" ideas out there in front my students because at least one of them takes hold of it and begins the job of convincing me to just go for it. So in December when I made my 25 goals list I decided to just go for it. I have learned a lot about myself through this process. Some it was obvious and some was surprising. 
  1. I really like running (this surprised me the most)
  2. I process life best while moving (walking, running, driving)
  3. I tend to have a naturally slow pace. I even sprint slowly in comparison to most people
  4. I run the best when I can let mind fully wander off. I don't think about how hard it is to breathe or how much my legs hurt
  5. I love running with 1-2 other people at most because... 
  6. I am really competitive and when running with a lot of people I know I tend to go straight to comparing our performances  
  7. I take not doing well (such as having to stop and walk, going slow) really personally and don't like to be bad at things (see number #6). 
  8. I tend to not participate at things I'm not good at - which is why I never ran much before 
  9. I have to run with music. Audiobooks do not work sadly (I wish they did) 
  10. Having a routine made running a lot easier 
I guess all this to say, I'm glad I've gone after this goal and I'm glad it wasn't easy. I'm not sure I'm ready to call myself a runner but I think I'm getting there. We will see where I'm at in one week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment