3.07.2012

A Second Chance

Fresno has turned into my home away from home. I never would have thought that after going to FUI (you know, that internship thingy I discuss a lot. Apparently it was important in my life. I will you look back at old blog posts for references and cool links). And one of the coolest things about being back in Fresno this time around was that I got to see a second chance for the Iron Bird Cafe.

The Coconut Mocha from Iron Bird Cafe

The place closed down shortly after I left Fresno for my second summer at FUI. It was heartbreaking to many of the people who frequented the establishment and loved their coffee. And they were thus overjoyed by it's return. The current owner is Amy Liao who owns Teazer World Market tea shops in Fresno (which I also LOVE). When I was in their last, I got to meet Amy and in her words "We've got to focus on making the good coffee and good food." Then she'll worry about the publicity.

I love this place because I feel like it is a metaphor for the city of Fresno. The city is virtually split into 2 parts - North Fresno is the rich area with the large shopping centers and tourist attractions. Downtown Fresno is full of poverty, homelessness, brokenness, and it easily forgotten about. People drive on the 99, past Fulton mall, past downtown, to get straight into Riverpark and Clovis and beyond. The downtown was left in the wake of their dust.

Years ago, the city learned that they were in the city with the highest concentrated poverty rate (people in a designated area living below the poverty line - they have the most designated areas). Since then people have worked to give their resources, time, and even Christian men and women have moved into the neighborhood to invest their own lives, money, and time into the city. Like IronBird, the city was given a second chance, was given hope to be renewed.

"Shout for joy, you heavens' rejoice, you earth; burst into song you mountains! For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones. But Zion said, 'The Lord has forsaken me, the Lord has forgotten me.' Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! See I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; you walls are ever before me." - Isaiah 49:13-16

Like Zion, Fresno will not be forsaken or forgotten by the Lord. During times of trouble, I feel like Zion and Fresno, I feel like God has left me and forgotten about me. But this verse reminds me, reminds the cities, that the Lord can no more forget, can no more walk away than a mother could possibly walk away from their nursing baby. Even in times of trouble, the Lord has not forsaken us but calls us to rejoice. Gives us hope and a second chance.

1 comment: