4.20.2011

Ode to a Love Affair

My students are working on a poetry book and their first poem they wrote as an ode. This was mine:

Ode to a Love Affair

The first time I saw you
Hiding in a lonely street
Almost forgotten but I still you
And my heart skipped a beat.

I heard about you from afar
My friends told me of your wonders so great
I knew that I would love you
Even on our first date.

I saw your nametag first
Written in green and white
I knew that I had found heaven
Even at the first sight.

I brought a coupon with me
Tacky I thought it must be
But you were understanding and joyful
For I was prepared you see.

My empty wallet thanked you
For it has little to spare
But you were loving and understanding of my troubles
I thought love this must be so rare.

Each time I went to the place you lived
I was wonderfully fed,
I was so tired from all the food
That I had to go straight to bed.

But our three year love affair must end.
How I terribly the dread that day.
For I am leaving town you see
And I must make my own way.

I will always cherish our time together
I will never forget you my treat.
I will miss your wonderful sandwiches,
Oh beautiful Deli on High Street.

2 comments:

  1. ...is it sad that i knew what this was about before i even read it? haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. High Street Deli needs a copy of this from their greatest fan!

    ReplyDelete