7.01.2010

Experiencing the Disconnect

FUI Update #2 

Currently I am at Light and Life Urban Ministries with Mariana, Akira, and Javel in the computer room. While they are enjoying be on MySpace - I thought I would write an update....

I never realized how big of a deal it was to have limited resources until I came back to FUI. Living on a budget of $35 has been a bigger strain than I thought. It’s not just about food - but gas and savings and other living expenses (which is why we still have four chairs for seven people in our apartment). But what has gotten to me the most is the driving. 

I live about fifteen minutes away from the Pink House at Stone Pine Apartments. Now that may not sound like a big deal but I’m seeing that everything on our approved list of places to go is situated to be convenient for those living in the Pink House. We have a grocery store list and a church list - which are all in the neighborhoods of the Pink House. Normally that is not a big deal for me, but rather a little annoyance. But with our limited gas funds and our limited time, it has become a bigger hassle than I expected. I not only have to drive to go our class, but also to get groceries and to even go to church. I have not been happy with only sleeping and eating breakfast our apartment because it takes so long to get to and from here. 

Then I realized that many people live similar lifestyles - if not worse. For example in the West Side of Fresno - there are no close or affordable grocery stores. And there are also a limited amount of gas stations so those with cars have to drive farther to get gas. Without good produce and food, it’s not wonder that our obesity rates have gone up. It would be better if Fresno’s public transportation system were better. I have yet to actually use it, but I have not heard good things. I don’t really enjoy feeling frustrated for living far away or for having to drive a lot, I can appreciate how this struggle is making me understand, just a little bit more, how difficult it is to live in the city and in poverty.

No comments:

Post a Comment